Thursday 31 March 2016

Karatyachi Bhaji\ Karlyachi Bhaji\ Karele ki Sabji\ Stir Fried Bitter Gourd

The Bitter Gourd season in our garden is still not over. Still loads of bitter gourd everyday. And that keeps me always hunting for some variations of bitter gourd recipes.

I just love bitter gourds. But no one else likes them in my family like the way I do. Hence I usually avoid cooking it. But these garden fresh bitter gourds are really tempting.

I thought now its time to pamper my self and indulge in my favourite recipes. I really miss my mom so much. She is the only one in this world who pampers me with my favourite recipes. Staying far away from Goa and my parents has taught me to pamper my self.

Bitter Gourd is known by multiple names. Karathe in Konkani, Karla in Marathi, Karela in Hindi, etc. This is a simple recipe of stir fried bitter gourd but just my favourite.


Ingredients:
Bitter Gourd - 3
Green chilies - 3
Karipatta leaves - 7-8
Mustard seeds - half teaspoon
Cumin seeds - half teaspoon

Oil - 2 tablespoon
Chilli Powder - half teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - half teaspoon
Hing
Salt
Jaggery

Procedure:
1. Finely chop the bitter gourd. Do not peel the skin of bitter gourd. Add a pinch of salt and keep it aside for one hour. Drain the water and wash it again with water and keep it aside. This will reduce the bitterness of the bitter gourd.
2. In a pan, add 2 table spoon oil. Add mustard seeds, once they splutter, add cumin seeds.
3. Next add green chillies, karipatta and hing.
4. Finally add the bitter gourd.
5. Add the jaggery and salt.
6. Cover it with a lid and cook covered on a medium flame for 5-10 mins.
7. Once it is cooked, turn off the stove.

The Karatyachi Bhaji is ready.
Serve it with rotis or as a side dish with rice.


Notes:
1. You can also add half teaspoon Amchur Powder. It will give an amazing flavour.
2.  I have prepared it without onion. But the same can also be prepared using onion.
3. You can skip the jaggery. I just love the combination of bitter gourd n jaggery. Hence i added it.




No comments:

Post a Comment