Monday 7 March 2016

Karatyache Nonche\ Karlyacha Loncha\ Karele ka Achar\ Bitter Gourd Pickle

Lots and Lots of fresh bitter gourd in our garden. Since my childhood days, I really love these bitter gourds. In India, whenever my mom visited us, she always prepared Bitter Gourd pickle for me so that I can enjoy it for many days. Here in Sydney I really miss my mom and her lovely delicious food.

No option left, I tried making the bitter gourd pickle for my self. It did not come as delicious as my moms', but quite good for a first try.


Here is one picture of our garden fresh bitter gourds.



Here is the recipe for my version of bitter gourd pickle.

Ingriedients:
Bitter Gourd\ Karela - 3
Oil - 2 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Sauf\ Fennel Seeds - half teaspoon
Hing - half teaspoon
Salt
Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Jaggery - half cup

Procedure:
1. Peel the outer skin of bitter gourd and discard it. Also discard the seeds. Finely chop the bitter gourd and apply salt and keep aside for half an hour.


2. After half an hour, rinse the chopped bitter gourd with water, 2-3 times. This is to reduce the bitterness of karela.
3. In a vok, add 2 tablespoon oil. Add mutard seeds. Once they splutter  add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and hing.
4. Next add the bittergourd, add salt and mix well and let it cook for some time.
5. Once the bitter gourd is half cooked, add the chilli powder and mix well.
5.  Next add the jaggery and again let it cook for some time, till the bitter gourd is completely cooked.


Serve it with any meal as a side dish
Once it cools down , store it in a air tight container in the fridge.


Notes:
1. Adjust the chilli powder and jaggery as per your taste.
2. This pickle stays in the fridge for around a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment